Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Workled

There is nothing in my head. I am workled. I think I just invented that word. Caveblogem would be so disappointed in me. I define it as "mentally numb or blank due to excessive concentration on small, repetitive tasks performed as part of workly duties."

Crap. Workly isn't a real word either.

There is a gap sometimes between the things we want and the things we need to do. I am currently occupying that gap.

I have less than three weeks left of Dayworking. I shall miss the people, but not the day or the working. I am eager to get back to writing. I have a handful of short stories and at least two novels to write. It will be nice to be able to focus on these projects. I shall use the uninterrupted time to make sure that I do not inadvertently fill my pages with words like "workled."

Turns out that I will not be coming to England in May. Finances do not allow for the trip. I may roam somewhere within my own country instead. Things are cheaper here. I could go somewhere in the U.S. for an entire month for what I was preparing to spend on a week in London.

On the plus side, not going to London means that the GBA(s)FC should return on May 1st, as I had originally intended. I hope you will consider entering, Blogreader, whether you entered last time or not. There will be a topic, oh yes, and a word count and everything.

I apologize for the lackluster post. I shall rise in the morning like the Phoenix, and perhaps then I will have joie de vivre. Perhaps, tomorrow, I shall feel buoyant and sprightly. I hope so.

Update: Wednesday morning, feeling better. Just couldn't find the decompression switch last night, I guess.

14 comments:

Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

All the best Maht, with that untitled current novel. Not a bad start so far. :)

Ms Baroque said...

Not coming to England??? (sob)

I like workled, btw. It's working for me.

Pants said...

Ms Baroque's disappointment is shared. Glad you're feeling better. I call my own state of mental meltdown 'being globbled'.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I'm sure that you can find a place to visit on this side of the Atlantic. Keep us posted on possibles.

"Workled" to me connotes something along the lines of "worked to death." Brain death (or a remarkable simulation) is one of the symptoms.

Funny how we can spend hours without even a food or sleep break "working" on our own projects which do not even feel like work.

Reading the Signs said...

I can see why it's hard for you to come here - everything is prohibitively expensive. But you may as well unworkle over there too so that you feel altogether less workly. I have used that incorrectly, haven't I? I do like it though.

Another competition? Splendid.

Chris said...

London is over rated. Scotland is the place to be, but I think I'm a bit biased. At least the cost of living (or visiting) is cheaper.

But then I can also highly recommend Ireland as well. The Republic of Irleand is on the Euro so the dollar goes a bit further. I just loved Ireland, such warm friendly people and my travels there resulted in many a great story.

Canada is nice too. You could go to the West Coast and visit my home of Vancouver. So many places to see, so little time. Too bad it all takes money. Canada would probably be your cheapest bet though with the exchange. And you'd love Tim Hortons (waaaay better than Dunkin Donuts)

The Moon Topples said...

Susan: Much thanks. I assume you mean the excerpt up on the other blog, which is not the current novel, but I appreciate the nice words anyway. Oh, maybe you mean the word count, which sputtered to a stall a while back. I'm really anxious to get back to work on it.

Ms. B: Glad you like workled. And don't fret: I'll get back to London one of these days, just not in May.

TSP: I've written down "globbled," and will try to use the words next time I feel that way. I'll let you know if it sticks for me.

HWDNS: Nope. You're really early for the next contest. Now enough of your wit.

HinSF: True, I am eager to finish my Dayworking so that I can actually work much longer hours on my own project for no money. Perverse, when you think about it like that.

RTS: You are brilliant.

Chris: It never ceases to amaze me that Canada has a west coast. That never would have occurred to me. Seriously, though, I'm thinking that I'll probably just stick to the U.S. if I travel at all. Still have to see how the money shakes out.

Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Yes, I meant the one on the sidebar, Maht. :-)
Observing & reading your posts, you have such a hunger to write, and I thnk that's just so perfect. It's the best tool you need. I look forward to you - and i know you will - firing up a dream. :-)

The Moon Topples said...

Susan: Sorry for the misunderstanding, and thanks very much for the encouragement. I do have a hunger to write. Or, since I write at least here every day, I have a hunger to write more. And "firing up a dream..." I like that.

Anna MR said...

What's wrong with making up words? Shakespeare did it all the time, and look where it got him (dead, and on his birthday too, poor bastard). Workled, I thought, was rather a nice one. Although I had to read it a few times before I was sure you meant work-led (at least I think you do) rather than workle -workled. Which is also good.

The Moon Topples said...

Oops, almost missed you there, Anna. Nothing wrong with making up words, I suppose. Shakespeare, however, was just plain lazy.

I am pronouncing it like "workle," and it nearly rhymes with purple.

You, of course, may pronounce it however you like.

Anna MR said...

Ok, glad we got that one sorted. We now have to plan carefully what to do with the leftover word: workled, as in lead, guided, taken by the nose, by work.

Anonymous said...

Just caught your comment over at Cave Blogem about being read. Who wouldn't want to read you, esp. with this kind of post? I'm on board. More, please!

The Moon Topples said...

Anna: Yes. A good word indeed. I shal use it when the opportunity presents...

W: How very kind of you. I'll be checking out your blog this weekend.