Monday, May 07, 2007

GBA(s)FC (Growth) Entry #23

Allen
by Flenker

Allen looked out his bedroom window and saw the progress being made on the newest addition to the city's "skyline." Or rather, the first addition. Where there was once an antique store next to an empty lot now loomed the skeletal structure for the high rise, promising to bring a new era toLendale . Allen was preparing to enter a new era of Allen. He was graduating in a week, getting married in a month, and moving to Portland with his blushing bride at the end of the summer. He was thinking about all of these things, as well as how one would go about becoming a crane operator, when his phone interrupted with with a start.

"Hey honey, what're you up to?"

"Nothing, just getting some work done around the apartment," he lied. Allen was sitting amongst empty boxes. Boxes that had been sitting empty for about a week, awaiting the belongings that would make the cut. Items that wouldn't be making the trip halfway across the country would be placed in the empty trash bags that were still on the kitchen table.

"Good! It's about time you start packing up. August will be here before we know it. We don't have a lot of free time between now and then!"

"Yeah, I know"

"What's up? Why do you sound so glum? Are you worrying about the money again?"

"No, it's not the money, I know we'll be okay."

"Then what is it?"

"I don't know. I guess I'm a little nervous about the whole moving thing, leaving this life behind."

"But aren't you excited, too? I mean, this is a big step in our lives, we'll be moving on to new and exciting things! And most importantly, we'll be moving on together. You are not going to be alone in this."

"I know. I am excited. It's just that when I look at this new building going up, I feel like Lendale's growing up while we're growing up, and that when we come back to visit, we won't recognize it, everything will be different, and the same will go for you and me."

"But you'll be the same person, and I'll be the same person. I promise you, people won't forget you. Everyone changes, it's just a part of life. But anyways, I need to get back to work. I'll be home around 4 tonight,Steph said she would come in early. So we can talk more then, if you'd like, okay? I love you!"

"Love you too, Kim. Bye babe." He set the phone down, and with one last glance out the window, started packing.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Reminds me of an Everclear tune. Nice job.