Thursday, September 21, 2006

The end of summer

A carnival came to my neighborhood. When I was a kid, and a carnival came to town, everything else came to a stop. I'd come home with some tiny stuffed animal or a little Rambo mirror. My favorite ride was the Tilt-A-Whirl.


The last day of summer, a carnival. Sometimes I miss being small.

In eighth grade, I peeked behind the curtain and worked six hours at a local Labor Day carnival. Making change for a quarters game, first job I ever had. It paid me just enough to buy "The Beatles Second Album" on cassette.

Pictures are pretty lo-res, because I took them with my phone. There's a couple more at my Flickr page, which I started in anticipation of all the shots I'm hoping to get while in England.

Welcome to autumn.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We did the carnival as it came through our town a few weekends ago. Spent $40 in tickets for the boys. After much pleading I agreed to go on a safe ride -- I picked the TiltaWhirl.

What the hell was I thinking? I guess my memory was foggy but that was a sickening ride. It started off innocently enough but there were a few minutes where I was bringing up all kinds of long forgotten foods. It took me a good half an hour to recover.

David