Sunday, September 17, 2006

New stuff on the site

I've been learning little bits of how to customize things on here, and have begun to update the site to be a bit more to my liking.

First, I've added subscription features to the sidebar. Clicking the top link allows you to add the feed from my site to various homepages (like google or yahoo). Entering your email address in the box and clicking the "Subscribe" button signs you up to receive emails from the site when I post. I think what it does is send a digest form of posts at the end of the day. Let me know if this isn't the case.

Below the revamped profile is a list of some of the topics I tend to repeat (for example: my upcoming trip, music, or weird life stories). Clicking on a topic will get you all the posts I've tagged into that group.

Lastly, I have added a list to the sidebar of music I'm listening most often these days. Clicking on these will get you to the artists' homepages (or to their stuff on Amazon when I couldn't find a good homepage). That way, you can hear some of their stuff if you like. I may expand this section to include films, books, or miscellany in the future.

The goal is to make the site a bit easier to use, while increasing the content. If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears (it's a genetic disorder). If I can figure out how to add something you'd like to see, I probably will. Also, if you notice anything odd about the links or are unhappy with the order in which things appear, let me know. I'll either change it or mock you, but probably the former.

Anyway, I'm still just getting started. So thanks for reading and stay tuned...

2:30 a.m. OK, so some of this stuff doesn't necessarily work as it is supposed to. This post, for instance, showed up within a couple of hours on the Google page, but Yahoo still doesn't see it seven hours later. I haven't received anything in my email about posts, either. On the plus side, if your browser supports live bookmarks, that seems to work pretty well (if you right-click and reload the bookmark). At least in Firefox.

No comments: