Friday, October 06, 2006

October


I meant to do this post on the first of the month, but my internet connection was down, and I've been rather busy since.

October is one of my favorite months (top ten, easily). It's the beginning of fall, when my clothing starts to make sense. It's got Halloween, my favorite holiday. It contains the birthdays of both John Lennon and my friend Scott, among others.

I love a crisp, chilly day. I like wearing a jacket, wandering around. I vastly prefer finding ways to keep warm to finding ways to keep cool in the summertime. And what happens to the trees is pretty nice to look at.

I live in a city, so there's not much in the way of harvest festivals, bonfires, cider or hayrides, but I like those, too.

A couple of years ago I wrote a song called "October." It's never been recorded, so I can't put it onto the MySpace page, but I thought I'd put up the first verse:

Her finger skims the water
A bracelet of numbers
A frozen afternoon
Of sun-gladdened slumber
I painted October
In ochre and umber

I know I don't usually post verse or poems, but I enjoy writing them. Plus that one's short, and probably a nicer read than stories about me getting puked on.

And for my regular readers: don't worry, I'm fine. I'm sure I'll find something to be bitter, cynical, or angry about soon enough.

No comments: