Saturday, December 30, 2006

Breaking news brings me down

I was just skimming the news and learned that they hanged Saddam Hussein at dawn in Iraq.

No doubt there will be all sorts of creepy celebrations, and I have no doubt he was a bad dude, but I don't understand the death penalty, and cannot get happy about its application.

Yes, he was a horrible man, and I cringed like most people when I heard of some of the things he had done the people of his country. I just don't see what killing him does, or solves, or prevents in the future.

President Bush says it's an "important milestone" on the Iraqi road to democracy. With two days left in 2006, the American casualties in Iraq number 2,996. There is, of course, no way to accurately gauge the Iraqi death toll. As the fourth anniversary of the initial invasion approaches, is there any doubt at all that we'll pass 3,000 Americans soon?

Milestone.

Obviously, my opinion doesn't actually matter. It's done. Can't unring a bell, and all that. I'll get back to trying to amuse you soon. Just makes me sad. The whole thing just makes me sad.

2 comments:

Nikki Neurotic said...

It makes me mad because in Suddam's eyes he's now a martyr for his followers.

Liz Dwyer said...

I kept cringing at the way the execution was being shown over and over again on the news channels. I was watching James Brown's funeral on CNN and it seemed they only took a break to once more show that noose being put around Saddam's neck.