Thursday, March 01, 2007

Angry Thor

"It is possible," I said the moment he answered the phone, my first words of the day. "It is possible that I know a guy who is really good at oversleeping."

I was both still in bed and already a half an hour late.

I blame the weather. We had some storms rip through last night, storms that weren't kidding around. It isn't normal for weather to wake me up, but this thing got me six times in two hours. I am almost certain, from the sounds, that there was hail. And angry, volatile thunder.

It seems to have shaken up the whole city. People were driving much stranger than is usual this morning: trucks driving backward down Chicago Avenue, cars turning right from the left-hand lane. There was flooding and I had cause once again to curse whoever developed the substance they coat the highways with, which kicks up a mist when driven upon that knocks visibility down to nothing. It is worse than fog.

Anyway, I hope this meets the "in like a lion" requirement for the month of March. I could really use some "out like a lamb."

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was a crazy night. I was awakened by the storms at 5 and couldn't go back to sleep, so I am glad that you got your rest.

This whole winter, Mr T, has been a bit nutty. My fingers are crossed for the coming of the lamb.

Anonymous said...

I blogged about that apocalyptic storm last night, too. Am I losing my mind or was there hail? I thought we were entering the time of Rapture or something.

I'm a mess today; I don't run well on too little sleep.

Anonymous said...

For what it's worth I hear this has been the second mildest winter on record in Britain. Today was a lovely sunny day but with a treacherous chill that caught you unawares if your were not expecting it.

I suppose in the past there has been some truth to the tales of "lions" and "lambs" but with global warming all bets are off. I wouldn't be too surprised at snow in summer, these days.

Just as long as the weather behaves for our break in Cornwall 3 weeks hence.

The Moon Topples said...

GT: I think around 5 was when I finally stopped waking up. But then you live west of me, so who knows what weather you got.

Minty: Yeah, I thought it was hail, too. Probably not, though, as none of it remained this morning. My guess is freezing rain, but really loud freezing rain...

ST: Glad to hear about the mild winter. Someone should have one. Our was mild until I started working on site, but I'm sure there's no obvious correlation. Hope you have a great trip.

Caroline said...

did you get chocolate?
x

The Moon Topples said...

caroline: yes, I did. It revived me.

Caroline said...

What was it like? I have been curious as to what a 'blurb is.

The Moon Topples said...

It was a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. I think he just meant "blurb" as something small.

Caroline said...

Oh he is so lovely. I do hope that he hugged you too. Hope you're ok.
x

The Moon Topples said...

Caroline: I am feeling much better. Thanks for the virtual hug. And thanks to GT for the chocolate.