Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Breaking Radio Silence

I've been feeling unusually quiet lately, Blogreader, as you may or may not have noticed from my lack of posts. I've been writing a little, outlining some—thinking and plotting and dreaming a bit in the hopes that I will soon have enough planning done to start my new draft.

I've been staying off the computer more than normal as well.

This isn't depression, this latest batch of quiet. I am familiar with depression, and this is something else. As near as I can tell, it is simply quiet.

It is good to be silent sometimes, I think. Besides, using the standard picture/word ratio, my last post was slightly over 10,000 words. Surely that was enough to last a while.

*****

You guys seem to have continued the tie score as to whether the clouds in the previous post were cotton candy or the impending apocalypse. I suppose I will declare cotton candy the winner on the basis of the earth's continued existence.

*****

We have been having a heatwave here. If you don't understand the cliche about it not being the heat but the humidity, come and spend a summer in Chicago. Sadly, the really bad heat, the kind that actually claims lives, is not due until late this month and throughout August. So there's that to look forward to.

I finally broke down and bought an air conditioner two years ago. Within a few hours I was puzzled at how I had survived for so many years without one. As much as I support energy conservation and the like, there is also a limit to how many hours I am willing to lie in a pool of my own sweat trying to pretend I'm not miserable.

*****

Announcement #1: In case you have forgotten or were not aware, the next GBA(s)FC will be starting August 1st. I imagine it'll run a lot like the last one, except that I will be scaling back the prizes somewhat. I plan to have only a single winner in the Author's Choice and Jury's Choice categories, and possibly an honorable mention or two. This is due to budgetary restraints as well as wanting to make sure that the people who win feel special. A friend also pointed out that a high percentage of winners also can make the people who do not receive an award feel worse. This makes sense to me.

*****

Announcement #2: I will be quitting smoking on Monday, July 16. Tuesday at the latest (depending on when I finish off my current stash). This will not be my first attempt to quit smoking, but I hope it'll be my last. So wish me luck with that, and send me candy if you wanna. Well, e-candy, I guess. I expect I'll try to blog when things get rough, so you can expect some posts about how I'm feeling terrible. What fun!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah, i'm looking forward to taking part in your next contest. and yeah, i want to feel great even if i don't win.

i'm really glad you are trying to quit smoking again. and i hope you succeed this time round. :)

Pallav said...

cool, next contest, great! good luck with the writing there...it helps to be just quite sometimes :)

and why are you quitting, is it gonna be worth it? ;)

N

Joni said...

excited for the contest.

good luck with the quitting thing!!
i'm in your corner.

The Moon Topples said...

c.s.: Thanks for the encouragement, and I look forward to seeing what you come up with for the contest.

Nothingman: Well, I certainly hope it'll be worth it. I'm quitting because I'm closing in on 3 packs a day and it makes me feel terrible (and poor).

Joni: Glad you're excited for the contest, and thanks for being in my corner.

Liz Dwyer said...

Aw man, the clouds won? I was sooo hoping for the apocalypse!

Our landlord just agreed to install an air conditioner so I'm looking forward to the cool hum and a higher electric bill.

Good for you that you're quitting smoking. You know what cured my teeny habit I had (acquired from going out to clubs too much)? I got dared to smoke an entire pack of unfiltered reds, all at once. It made me so physically sick that I never touched a cigarette again. So I'm rooting for you to kick it. Good luck on the 16th!

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

It takes a few goes to get the hang of giving up smoking (I speak from experience - and I was successful, eventually). You CAN do it. Best of luck.

Unknown said...

Try crochet, or whittling biro's, many new skills have been developed from giving up the weed.
I send positive vibes for you success.

Anonymous said...

The wife and I just started a regimen of Chantix® to help us quit smoking as well. Our scheduled quit day is also Monday.

Best of luck, Maht. Call me if you need some support, or someone to scream at.

Dirk

The Moon Topples said...

Liz: I'm sure the apocalypse will come sooner or later, don't worry. Your trick of smoking a whole pack all at once would, uh, not work on me. But then, I'm not catching it while it's still a social thing.

Zinnia: Well, this is not exactly my first try at quitting, but thanks for the encouragement.

Minx: I think arming me with enormous needles during withdrawal might not be such a great idea.

Dirk: Chantix®, eh? Sounds like a parody name, but I hope it works for you. I'm trying the old willpower and isolation method, with a couple of patches on hand should I need them. Weird that we picked the same day, but then you're always quitting so it was bound to happen sooner or later. As for the screaming, I may very well take you up on that.

Unknown said...

Large box of e-choccies coming your way. Having recently watched the Significant Other go through the process of quitting the weed, I wish you and all those around you the best of luck!
;-)
Know this though: It can be done!

The Moon Topples said...

AbVan: Thanks for the e-chocolate. It's e-licious.

Unknown said...

I'm sending you a box of e niquitine that I've not quite managed to crack open yet. Good luck with the quitting and writing and a new contest. Yeah.