Thursday, August 31, 2006

I have a passport


My passport arrived today. Just showed up in the mailbox, along with a Guitar Center ad and MacAddict magazine. I guess I was expecting more fanfare.

And so, now it is official: I am going to England. I imagine most of the trip will be spent in London itself, but I would be remiss if I didn't go to Liverpool while I'm there.

Not being well-travelled (I still haven't even seen an ocean), this is very exciting news for me. A trip to England has been a dream of mine for years. I'm not really one of those people who makes lists of the things he'd like to do before xx date or age; but if I were, I'm sure that England would have made the cut.

I know this is a fairly boring post, but this is all very exciting for me. A passport always seemed like some magical document that other people could get. And that people who had them were people who travelled all the time. They went to Europe when they wanted, exotic beaches, Narnia, whatever. And even though I'm not necessarily gonna be travelling a lot, it still seems big to me.

So I begin my preparations. I'll be buying my tickets, researching some stuff, freaking out about stuff. Getting an English/English dictionary and so on. Trying to figure out what liquids I'll need to bring since I can't carry them on anymore. Apparently you can't even carry on toothpaste anymore, which seems like a kind of excessive way to enforce the standards of British dental hygiene on travelers.

Do you think I'll have to check my thousands and thousands of snakes?

1 comment:

Kiersten said...

Woohoo! London rocks (will be there in just over 2 weeks myself)... make sure you drink lots of beer - way better over there than in the states (sorry, but it's true). Enjoy!